Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Simplicity 2588




Pattern Description: Dress with yoke and pleated skirt

Pattern Sizing: I cut the 18 with adjustments

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes!


Were the instructions easy to follow? I only really checked them for the pocket attachment as I lined the bodice instead of just doing facings like the instructions say




I have some fabric pooling at my lower back in this photo but thats from from my hands on my hips, if I stand up normally its fine.



What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The pockets were sewn in differently to any other inseam pockets I've done before. They are sewn into the waist seam as well so they don't droop or flop about like some in seam pockets. I also really liked the tabs and buttons around the waist.



Fabric Used:
Polkadot cotton sateen

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made a FBA of about 2 inches and widened the back also. I added length to the skirt to make it fall to knee length and I used satin bias binding to finish the hem off. I also fully lined the bodice in a black stretch cotton.






Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes! I'm planning on making the skirt by itself soon. I found the higher neckline quite flattering for a fuller bust which was surprising as I usually steer away from them.

Conclusion:

I like this dress - it's a easy pretty dress that I can get away with wearing to work as well as out for tea. All the seams are overlocked. I could have spent some more time in finishing the bodice - I should have turned and slip stitched the lining to the zipper and for the shoulder seams, but I'm still happy with how it turned out.


Gratuitious cat shot!

2 comments: