Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Vogue 8751: Pinstripe pants





So more pants! My kids are staying at their cousins house and my hubbie is on afternoon shift so I made these last night. The material is from the op shop, first good find I've had in ages! It's got a subtle pinstripe through it and has some stretch, I think it might be a polyester blend.



I've made this pattern a lot before but since using my pants block I've become a lot more picky with the way my pants fit so I retraced the pattern and used my pants block on it. The front looks ok in these photos but in real life I think the zipper is too low and it needs a little extra in the front rise as it bunches a bit when I walk plus I had to drop the rear crotch by a lot too which makes me think I may have made these pants a tad too tight in the hips so next pair I'll put the zipper slightly higher and add some extra width to the sides.
I used a polkadot cotton on the waistband facing and stay tape around the top of the waistband. I changed the pockets from in seam pockets and added a pocket stay.


 Even after getting the pants block and sewing all these pants its still a bit of crap shoot to get a pair of perfect pants, there are so many factors like material and adjusting the pattern properly that affect the finished pants. I have a real tendency to overfit pants too which I'm trying to break myself of.
I'm a huge convert of the pants block though, it just gives you that extra help before you start and the rest of the pants are so much easier to fit if the crotch area is right.

14 comments:

  1. You are the queen of pants! These look fab and I'm most intrigued by the idea of a pants block and must look at getting one together for myself. Also, thank you such much for the lovely thread- it arrived this afternoon and I love the colours :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad the thread got to you already! Having a pants block is seriously great, I'd recommend it to anyone!

      Delete
  2. You are just nailing the construction of pants at the moment! I am not a pant sewer, so will assume like all sewing, each and every pair will need to be 'tweaked' to some degree with different fabric. Your wardrobe must be chokers with pants now - what will you change to once the heat of summer hits (in only a few short weeks???)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith! I still have a couple more pairs of pants to make, lol, I'm kind of stuck on making pants at the moment! and knowing me I'll probably start making winter coats next in the middle of summer!!

      Delete
  3. Wow you are a one woman sweatshop when it comes to making pants! I'm in awe of your persistence and skill at turning out consistently well finished and well fitting pants. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I did make a top the other day but it turned out such a mess it got chucked in the corner and I started making pants again, lol!

      Delete
  4. Smart pants and clever front pockets. As always that little 'pop' of fun on the inside. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth, inseam pockets always gape on me so I like the jeans style ones a lot more!

      Delete
  5. Your trousers are looking terrific. I love the red buttonholes on the inside.
    Thank you for the thread. The colours are lovely. I plan to use it on my daughter's formal dress today,so it was really timely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm glad you got the thread so quickly. Can't wait to see your daughters formal dress!

      Delete
  6. I thought your pants were really good looking right away - but the dot waistband facing and red buttonholes put an arrow thru my heart - love them, great touches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm loving the bright buttonholes lately myself!

      Delete
  7. Wow, these look absolutely wonderful, and your fit looks terrific! The careful work you are putting into perfecting your trouser block will pay dividends :)

    ReplyDelete