Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Lekala 4163: Knit jacket




 
After the wadder that was Vogue 1364 I downloaded this pattern to give it a go. It has all the things that I've learnt to look for in a knit jacket pattern, cut high at the back and with a waist tie to give some definition.
I used the rest of the blue ponte I picked up at the last Lincraft sale. Its a medium weight ponte that doesn't wear too badly, I stock up on it and the knit interfacing when the big 50% off sale is on each year.


I made a 1" FBA which was rotated into the front folds and a 1" arm width adjustment. I'm really happy with how it fits, Lekala has been a little hit and miss for me but I sent off my exact measurements for this one and its spot on. I've had trouble in the past because they go off the full bust not the high bust which is a problem if you normally have to do a FBA because the shoulders end up too wide and the armscye is the wrong angle. But I think maybe because this pattern is so close fitting (its got either none or slightly negative ease) the shoulders fit perfectly and I needed to do a FBA anyway.

 
The sleeves are a two piece sleeve which fit really well. I have found the ties pull the side seams forward and pull at the back a bit too but its not a major deal. The ties and front facing are interfaced and I'm not sure I'd bother interfacing the ties if I made it again.
 
I should mention I got this pattern from the new English site. Its a lot easier to navigate and download from than the original Russian site. The patterns don't come standard with seam allowances but you can click to have them added at checkout.

8 comments:

  1. Lekala has some really cute styles. I love how the front drapes, very flattering.

    I think their underbust measurement is supposed to help calculate the cup size and thus take care of any FBA needs, but maybe it doesn't work for everyone.

    Love how the cat decided to be in the photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, what a pretty jacket! I'm glad this was a success. I've never looked up Lekala patterns, but my curiousity is piqued, so off I'll go now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. Great fit. I should check out this site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you believe that I have this very same pattern half-constructed at the moment - just the sleeves to set in and the hem to do! If mine fits me even half as well as yours fits you, I will be a happy woman. I used the English site to order my patterns too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've picked a lovely colour and style again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh it's amazing how much a simple change in pattern design can have such a huge effect. The waterfall effect of the Lekala certainly trumps the Vogue!! This looks just as I envisaged it should - you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your sense of style--you wear your clothes so well--they do not "wear" you...

    ReplyDelete